Credit By Exam
Credit by Exam program
Many academic departments offer students an opportunity to earn credit without a grade in specific courses through the credit by examination program. Below is a list of credit by examination programs for which the University of Houston offers test course credit.
- You must be officially enrolled at the University of Houston to have credit awarded and posted to your transcript.
- Official test scores must be sent to University Testing Services. Credit cannot be processed until official scores have been received.
- You must not be enrolled for the course for which credit is being attempted.
- Course credit is posted without a grade and is not included in the calculation of your GPA.
- Credit awarded through the credit by examination program applies toward a student’s degree requirement can be applied towards the graduation pledge.
- All credit by examination policies are subject to change.
- Make sure that you have sent your official test scores to the University of Houston.
- Complete the Test Course Credit Request form available at the University Testing Services, Room 204 Student Service Center 1.
Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)
Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations are offered to students currently enrolled in high school. Test registration information is available from high school counselors.
- http://www.collegeboard.com/apstudents - UH Institution Code: 6870
Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) Subject Test
Applications for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) II Subject Tests are available at the University Testing Services or your local area high schools.
- http://www.collegeboard.com - UH Institution Code: 6870
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) offers you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know. Visit CLEP’s website for test registration and testing location.
- http://clep.collegeboard.org/ - UH Institution Code: 6870
International Baccalaureate (IB)
The International Baccalaureate is an international program of courses and examinations offered at the high school level. In accordance with Section 51.968 of the Texas Education Code, UH will grant at least 24 credit hours in appropriate subject areas to an entering freshman student for successful completion of the IB Diploma Program. The institution may grant fewer than 24 credit hours if the student received a score of less than four on an examination administered as part of the diploma program. Students who submit scores of 4 or higher on IB Standard Level (SL) Examination will receive credit if they have also earned the IB diploma. UH also offers credit for scores of 4, 5, 6, or 7 on the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher-Level (HL) Examinations. To request credit, you should send your scores to the Executive Director of Learning & Assessment Services for evaluation.
- http://www.ibo.org - UH Institution Code: 01409.
- Please visit http://www.ibo.org/graduates/transcripts/ to order your Official IB Transcripts.
Defense Activity For Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
The DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST) program, originally designed and administered only for military personnel, is available to all interested persons. Test registration information is available from University Testing Services.
- http://las.uh.edu/uts/tests-offered.aspx - UH Institution Code: 9799
UH Departmental Examinations
Departmental examinations for credit are offered on scheduled test dates during Fall, Spring, and Summer semester. Test registration information is available from University Testing Services. The minimum scores for receiving credit are determined by the individual departments.